Government has made the NDA the implementing organisation for geological disposal of Higher Activity Waste; this includes both planning and delivery. Radioactive Waste Management Limited is the subsidiary which is running the geological disposal programme, alongside the government’s geological disposal siting process. It is also being developed into a competent delivery organisation which, as a separate legal entity, will be able to apply for and hold regulatory permissions in due course. NDA will continue to work with the UK government to deliver the commitments in the 2014 White Paper “Implementing Geological Disposal – A framework for the long-term management of higher activity radioactive waste”, working with interested communities and other stakeholders.
Key activities for 2017 – 2020 include:
- Support the launch of the geological disposal siting process in line with government policy.
- Implement government policy on geological disposal of Higher Activity Waste.
- Deliver a robust technical programme to address knowledge gaps arising from RWM’s design and safety assessment work, participating in appropriate European and international projects.
- Develop Radioactive Waste Management Limited into a competent delivery organisation.
- Work pro-actively with waste producers, planning for and delivering disposability assessments for their range of wastes.